Traumatic Brain Injury
Traumatic Brain Injury Transition Team
The Traumatic Brain Injury Transition Team is a multi-disciplinary team that provides a systematic approach to transitioning students with a TBI back into the educational setting.
This team, who would be available upon request to support the local school districts through coaching, consulting, and collaboration, includes the following:
- Athletic Trainer
- School Psychologist
- School Social Worker
- Teacher Consultant
- Speech/Language Pathologist
- Occupational Therapist
- Physical Therapist
The term traumatic brain injury (TBI) means an acquired injury to the brain which is caused by an external physical force. The injuries may be a result of motor vehicle accidents, falls, sports injuries, abuse, or other trauma.
TBI may result in observable differences in learning, communication, physical, emotional, and/or behavioral processes impacting a student's educational performance.
Serving the entire Ottawa Area Intermediate School District, the Traumatic Brain Injury Transition Team is available to the following local school districts:
- Allendale Public Schools
- Coopersville Area Public Schools
- Grand Haven Area Public Schools
- Hamilton Community Schools
- Holland Public Schools
- Hudsonville Public Schools
- Jenison Public Schools
- Saugatuck Public Schools
- Spring Lake Public Schools
- West Ottawa Public Schools
- Zeeland Public Schools
- Public School Academies
While the local district is responsible for providing direct services to the child, the Traumatic Brain Injury Transition Team and district liaisons can:
- Consult with schools regarding identification, school re-entry planning, IEP/504 Plan development, and collaboration around appropriate interventions
- Monitor students annually until graduation for possible manifestation of cognitive/behavioral/social issues
- Access additional support from local resources and annual presentations offered by the OAISD
If you have a student who is suspected or identified as having a TBI and in need of support, please complete the "Request for OAISD District Services Support" Google form. After completing the Google form, a representative from the TBI Transition Team will contact you with next steps.
For immediate inquiries please contact the TBI Transition Team Coordinator, Kristin Blain.
email@example.com or 616-796-1715