Traumatic Brain Injury
Traumatic Brain Injury Transition Team
The Traumatic Brain Injury Transition Team is a multi-disciplinary group of educators and health care professionals. This team works to provide resources and guidance to districts with the goal of establishing a system of support within their educational setting. Our goal is to support students, school staff, and families by connecting them with tools and resources. Our team is available to collaborate with the districts within the Ottawa Area Intermediate School District.
The term traumatic brain injury (TBI) means an acquired injury to the brain which is caused by an external physical force. The injuries may be a result of motor vehicle accidents, falls, sports injuries, abuse, or other trauma.
TBI may result in observable differences in learning, communication, physical, emotional, and/or behavioral processes impacting a student's educational performance.
Serving the entire Ottawa Area Intermediate School District, the Traumatic Brain Injury Transition Team is available to the following local school districts:
- Allendale Public Schools
- Coopersville Area Public Schools
- Grand Haven Area Public Schools
- Hamilton Community Schools
- Holland Public Schools
- Hudsonville Public Schools
- Jenison Public Schools
- Saugatuck Public Schools
- Spring Lake Public Schools
- West Ottawa Public Schools
- Zeeland Public Schools
- Public School Academies
While the local district is responsible for providing direct services to the child, the Traumatic Brain Injury Transition Team and district liaisons can:
- Consult with schools regarding identification, school re-entry planning, IEP/504 Plan development, and collaboration around appropriate interventions
- Monitor students annually until graduation for possible manifestation of cognitive/behavioral/social issues
- Access additional support from local resources and annual presentations offered by the OAISD
If you have a student who is suspected or identified as having a TBI and in need of support, please complete the "Request for OAISD District Services Support" Google form. After completing the Google form, a representative from the TBI Transition Team will contact you with next steps.
For immediate inquiries please contact the TBI Transition Team Coordinator, Kristin Blain.
email@example.com or 616-796-1715