Health and Prevention
Healthy Students are Better Learners
Recognizing the strong link between health and learning, OAISD health and prevention consultation aims to support schools in the implementation of the Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child (WSCC) Model. Consultation includes supporting a comprehensive Pre-K-12 health education curriculum, student health behavior data and analysis, assessment of the school health environment to support the whole child, and adequate access to health services including behavioral health.
Join us on Facebook
Health & Physical Education Newsletters
OAISD Health & Physical Education Newsletters
Health and Physical Education Newsletter for NEW TEACHERS
Michigan School Health Coordinators Association
- Whole Child Quarterly - Michigan School Health Coordinators' Association Newsletter
HIV/STD & Sexuality Education
- Policy to Promote Health & Prevent Disease & Pregnancy
- Qualified Teachers of Sex Education
- Michigan Revised School Code (PA 451 of 1976) and State School Aid Act (PA 94 of 1979)
Sexuality Information and Education Council of the United States (SIECUS)
National Sex Education Standards: Core Content and Skills K-12 (2020)
Sex Education Advisory Board Resources
Pride in Diversity Newsletter - The Ottawa Area ISD in partnership with Out on the Lakeshore, has put together resources for our schools to use to make their school environments more inclusive and inviting for all students.
Best Practices for Supporting LGBTQ+ Students: Back to School Edition
MI State Board of Education Guidance
LGBTQIA+ Inclusivity Toolkit - MOASH, The purpose of this toolkit is to provide support, strategies, and resources for Michigan health teachers who want to make their sex education lessons more inclusive for all students, particularly LGBTQIA+ students.
Suicide Prevention & Postvention
Ottawa County Suicide Prevention Network
OCSN Mental Health Supports Resources
OASSN 2021 Suicide Response Resources
MDE School Mental Health Webpage
Suicide Prevention Resource Center
Michigan Model for Health
- The Michigan Model for Health™ (MMH) is a comprehensive health education curriculum that targets Pre-K through 12th grade students utilizing a skills-based approach. The MMH curriculum teaches students the knowledge and skills they need to build and maintain healthy behaviors and lifestyles. Age-appropriate and sequential lessons focus on the most serious health challenges school-aged children face.
- The Michigan Model curriculum has released two different version of the curriculum. To be eligible for these curricula you must have attended a Michigan Model training in the past 5 years and be currently implementing.
- A "digital" version of the K-12 curriculum links all the student worksheets, resources and videos. Please reach out to Stacey Sills (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information on how to receive these resources/curriculum free of charge.
- The Michigan Model for Health™ Scope and Sequence
Substance Use and Abuse
Talk Sooner - They are a resource for parents to access information about substance use prevention. Their mission is to help parents inform youth about the dangers of substance use. Focus group data suggests that youth do indeed seek information and guidance from parents and other adults, so it is important that parents have these difficult conversations.
Monitoring the Future is an ongoing study conducted by the University of Michigan of the behaviors, attitudes, and values of American secondary school students, college students, and young adults. Each year, a total of 50,000 8th, 10th, and 12th-grade students are surveyed.
The mission of SAMSHA (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, United States Department of Health and Human Services) is to build resilience and facilitate recovery for people with or at risk for substance abuse and mental illness. CSAP (Center for Substance Abuse Prevention) is a division of the SAMSHA whose goal is to bring effective substance abuse prevention practices to every community to help ensure reductions in substance abuse.
The mission of Addiction Guide is to help all those affected by addiction by providing reliable and comprehensive resources, advice, tips, and guides. We are a diverse team made up of recovering addicts, healthcare professionals, and patient advocates and we want to help you find the best care possible.
Wait 21 Pledge to WAIT until 21 before considering alcohol and abstain from drugs. Take 3 recommitment surveys throughout the year to show your commitment.
Youth Risk Behavior Data
Ottawa County Youth Assessment Survey Website
Since 2005, the Ottawa County Youth Assessment Survey has been used to monitor health risk behaviors in Ottawa County teens. Data from this anonymous survey has been used by local agencies and schools to enact more effective programs and policies to improve the health and well-being of local teens. The website includes the most recent 2019 YAS results, past survey results, FAQs and history regarding the YAS.
Michigan Profile for Healthy Youth (MiPHY)
Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance System (YRBSS)
Ottawa County Behavioral Risk Factor Survey - 2020
Michigan Youth Risk Behavior (YRBS)
MI School Health Survey System
Healthy School Action Tools (HSAT)