Gifted and Talented
Ottawa Area ISD is committed to serving the needs of all students within its schools and local districts. Meeting the educational needs of gifted students is just as important as meeting the needs of at-risk learners. OAISD provides a variety of resources and services to educators, students, and parents to support accelerated learning.
A Gifted and Talented Education affiliate group of educators from local districts meets throughout the school year to network about resources and ideas to support accelerated learning.
Parents are encouraged to review the links and resources available on this website.
Definition of Giftedness
Students with gifts and talents perform - or have the capability to perform - at higher levels compared to others of the same age, experience, and environment in one or more domains. They require modification(s) to their educational experience(s) to learn and realize their potential. Student with gifts and talents:
- Come from all racial, ethnic, and cultural populations, as well as all economic strata.
- Require sufficient access to appropriate learning opportunities to realize their potential.
- Can have learning and processing disorders that require specialized intervention and accommodation.
- Need support and guidance to develop socially and emotionally as well as in their areas of talent.
- Require varied services based on their changing needs.
Self-Paced Learning (free)
1. Edupath: Understanding and Supporting Gifted Learners Series
- Introductory course on who are the gifted students
- Characteristics of Gifted Learners
- Social-Emotional Needs of Gifted - coming in July 2023
- Special Populations of Gifted - in development
- Instructional Strategies for Gifted Learners - in development
Flexible Learning Options
Twice Exceptional (2e)
Children who are both gifted and have one or more learning disabilities need to have both needs met in the classroom, in order to thrive.
- Davidson Institute strength-based guide and multiple resources for supporting twice exceptional students
Ohio Department of Education (ODE) website resources and definition:
“Definition: Children who are gifted learners can also have a disability that hinders their success unless proper interventions are provided. These 2e children may receive special education services, but gifted services are often not even considered. (OHIO Gifted Task Force 2002)”
- Use Multi-Tiered System of Support for Gifted Students article
- Federal ESSA and Gifted - From NAGC. How the current Federal ESSA legislation supports gifted students.
- Michigan Association for Gifted Children (MAGC) - Educators and Parents, join for the newsletter on state level information and many resources, and conference offerings on addressing the needs of gifted learners.
- National Association for Gifted Children (NAGC) - National information, articles, and many resources for addressing the needs of gifted learners.
- Federal Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA): Supporting High-ability Learners and Programming (title IV)
District Gifted and Advanced Learner Opportunities
- West Ottawa
- SAIL Program - Advanced English
- SAIL Program - Advanced English
- PATH - Advanced math and english classes for middle schoolers at Hope College
- Director: Lisa Fissora firstname.lastname@example.org
- Future Prepp’d Director: Denise Smyk email@example.com
- Project Based learning (PBL)
- AP classes,
- Early College Program