1. What are OAISD, and M-TEC?

Thompson Michigan Technical Education Center (M-TEC) is the adult educational, skills training division of the Ottawa Area Intermediate School District (OAISD). A variety of both college and non-college credit adult programming is available at M-TEC.

2.  What is the difference between "for college credit classes" and "not for college credit classes"?

Many classes, offered through OAISD at M-TEC, provide certifications. Other courses can be articulated (transferred and given credits) to colleges including Muskegon Community College, Davenport University, Baker College and Grand Rapids Community College.

3. What is Open Entry/Open Exit (OE/OE) instruction?

Open Entry/Open Exit (OE/OE) instruction allow students to attend the open lab at their own convenience during scheduled lab hours and work independently. Students receive excellent instructional support when needed to help plan their program, manage their time and complete course requirements. Each open entry course is designed to take the average student approximately 24 to 36 hours of computer time to complete. Please refer to the Course Catalog on the main page to see our Open Lab schedule.

4. What about lecture classes?

Students have specific meeting schedules and are open for enrollment every six weeks. The classes combine instructor-directed learning and self-paced coursework. Each lecture class is designed to take a maximum of six weeks to complete.

5. How do I register for classes?

You may choose from three methods:

  • In person
  • By phone: 1-877-298-0007 or 616-738-8935, ext. 4200
  • By Fax: 616-738-8936

6. Do you offer financial aid?

Financial aid may be available for you at Ottawa County Michigan Works or call 1-800-285-WORK or through one of two scholarship funds offered by Thompson M-TEC. Learn more on M-TEC's Financial Page