Biking For Books
Coming this Summer 2020!
Kyle Mayer, Assistant Superintendent for the Ottawa Area Intermediate School District will be biking across Michigan on the newly acquired Book Bike! Kyle's passions are biking and reading and this is a great way to merge his two of his hobbies.
Kyle is a member of the Michigan Governor's Literacy Commission, Co-Chair of the General Education Leadership Network (GLEN) Early Literacy Task Force and supporter of the Reading Now Network and the Western Michigan University High Impact Leadership Project.
This summer, Kyle's trip will take him from Au Gres-Sims Elementary School in Au Gres, Michigan on July 27th all the way back home to Grand Haven, Michigan and arriving just in time for the Coast Guard Festival on August 1st . Kyle's goals are to accomplish two major goals:
- To support Muskegon Heights Public School Academy System on their quest to provide a research-based and culturally relevant libraries for all of their students.
- Raising awareness that well-stocked and culturally relevant classroom libraries are needed in every Michigan classroom and to motivate others to take action.
Watch this page for more information and updates from now throughout the summer. Please check back often.
Approximate Map and Schedule
- July 29 Beal City to Big Rapids (33 miles)
- July 30 Big Rapids to Newaygo (33 miles)
- July 31 Newaygo to Muskegon Heights (35 miles)
- Aug 1 Muskegon Heights to Grand Haven (11 miles)