In the event that local districts do not have an attendance policy, the OAISD recommends, after three days of unexcused absences, the school will contact parents by telephone or letter. If telephone contact results in an answering machine message or if a letter is used for contact, a follow up confirmation is suggested.
After six full days of unexcused absences, the school will:
Schedule, then conduct, and document a face to face meeting between the school, parent, and the child to discuss the child's attendance and formulate a plan using all appropriate available resources to resolve the truancy issues locally. This may include changing schedules, assistance in getting to school (e.g., parent/adult escort to school of his/her child, tutoring, testing, parenting, classes, etc.),
Local District Follow-Up
If significant unexcused absences of eight or more days accumulate, or the local school district policy is exhausted, the school will:
1. Refer the child to the OAISD truancy officer by filing a completed Truancy Report through the Truancy Data Manager (TDM) system. When a new school year begins, any truancy, regardless of previously filed reports, must have a new Truancy Report filed for the Ottawa Area ISD staff to take any action. Please note that separate Truancy Reports must be filed for each student, regardless if two students are in the same family.
2. Please keep records of all attempted and/or actual contacts and/or interventions. This information will be required when you submit your Truancy Report.
3. You must Inform the truancy officer of any and all further unexcused absences occurring during the remainder of the semester. Please upload this information in TDM if it is not already visible in the system. If you have additional attendance questions or concerns, please contact Truancy Officer, Angela Morrison.
Truancy Office Follow-Up
Upon receipt of a Truancy Report the truancy staff will:
1. Send the parent and child a letter by regular and certified mail informing them of the consequences of further absences. A copy of this letter will be sent to the local school district principal.
2. After the letter has been sent, the OAISD truancy officer will contact the local district/administrator who filed the report to check on attendance. If the student has not returned to school, the OAISD truancy officer will contact the parent/guardian via phone, email, and/or home visit.
3. If repeated unexcused absences continue, the OAISD truancy officer will make an additional contact with the parent/guardian via phone, email, and/or home visit. At that time, the consequences of continued unexcused absences will be explained. Once resources have been offered and attendance has not improved, charges could be sought against the parent/guardian and/or juvenile.
If you have questions relating to truancy, please contact: